I am amazed at how different our life is and how we serve everyone better when we put these two very important things fully into play in our lives:
Our Passions and Values
For years, I have been journaling and talking about how essential passion is. I’m thrilled that Malcolm Gladwell, Tony Robbins, and others have stated this to be true to their research as well. It’s always good to have an inspirational expert at the click of a mouse!
Having passion is important in all areas of our life.
When I began designing this courseware for my clients, I had a wake up call that this area of our lives was probably the most important AND the most compromised.
It IS easy to forget about them when we go to our work or when we are in action with others, but what if we were crystal clear about our passions and values and had a way to keep them in check…and confidently keep them as priorities?
You gotta have passion about what you’re doing or who you’re doing it for or what you’re trying to impact or accomplish will be short-lived, lacking in spark, and will feel meaningless.
Think of it like this:
If we believe in and live out our unique individual personal brand – who we are and called to be at our core – who we are when we are fully in our YES – that superstar version of ourselves…we cannot only impact the world, but we can help change it for the better.
Think about that for a minute. When we are fully in our YES we can impact the world, because we are leveraging our values and what we’re truly passionate about.
That’s pretty incredible.
It renders me speechless as I write this.
Your strengths, passions, and values in action are what the world NEEDS.
If we would just say yes to our values (unapologetically) and to our passions (our inspiration and excitement in action) we could be forces of positive change for so many people in our work and in our lives.
This is, of course, assuming that our passions and values are for the greater good! (With this group, I have no doubt in my mind about that.)
This week is the most important week in the myBrand Project series. It also tends to be the eye opener for my clients.
Each of us has people, causes, work, and things that we’re so passionate about that we would stop everything we’re doing to make them better, work in them, support them, and give them our best.
Our personal brand is woven together with our values and our passions.
So many times though, I see these important parts of who we are parked for the benefit of someone else’s comfort, especially employers. I also see people compromise their values and passions, because of a deep lack in self-confidence about these important areas of their lives and who they are.
Here are some thought starters that I use with my clients:
- What are you most passionate about?
- What do you deeply value and care about that is being ignored?
- What is it that you’re leaving behind when you approach your daily work?
- Is it possible for you to integrate it into your work? Into your personal life?
- If not, what is the reason you are held back?
- How creative are you willing to get to have more of this passion in your life?
- What would be the most ideal work or free-time situation where you put together your talents, skills, and passions?
- What would you be doing? Who would you be working/volunteering for or serving?
Any of these questions should get you thinking. This week’s video is just five minutes and will give you a few more thought starters.
- If you want your personal brand to have the biggest impact or if you want to make a significant transformation or change in your life to last, make sure you’re passionate about what you’re doing and that your values are in check.
- You’ll be serving others with the best version of yourself and it will feel more effortless.
- It will give you a deeper level of satisfaction and meaning.
- We are called to service and by putting your strengths in action through you values and passion, you’ll make the biggest impact.
Look back to last week’s Life Timeline. Take some time to reflect on the areas of your life where you felt on fire.
- What do you really care about?
- What matters most to you?
- What experiences did you have in your life so far that lit you up like a Christmas tree?
- When were you doing something so effortlessly and your talents & skills were at play?
Begin writing them down.
- It could be your faith, family, friendships, cooking, animals, music, walks outside, playing sports, winning, helping – anything.
Write them down. Also, jot down your values.
- What are the most important things to you. Maybe it’s honesty or transparency. Perhaps it’s doing the right thing.
- Whatever is written on your heart, this is the week to write it ALL down.
Then, take a few minutes to look back over your talents and skills (your collective strengths).
- Where are all three areas working in action together (talents + skills + passions/values)?
- What opportunities do I have to become better aligned?
Up Next Week: The best space (ideal work and personal living environments) for putting your best self and personal brand fully into action.
This Week’s Action Items
Take an inventory of your passions and values.
Write them down.
If you need help, try out some of the questions in the post to the left.
After completing this exercise, see where your talents, skills, and passions/values align or misalign.
Make a list of opportunities for you to integrate your passions and values more fully in your work and in your life.